Distributing a Fedora appliance

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Nov 27 14:22:18 UTC 2010

From: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under
  Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1
  and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source
      code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2
      above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to
      give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically
      performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the
      corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections
      1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to
      distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only
      for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in
      object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with
      Subsection b above.)

Note that since Fedora distributes under clause a (see:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2009-September/037703.html)
you can't use clause c to pass on the offer that Fedora doesn't make.