Distributing a Fedora appliance

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Nov 27 15:26:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 12:03:10 -0300,
  Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are trying to tell me that I should install al srpms inside the VM?.

I would expect that if you don't do an update after you build the VM,
you can probably ask people you give the VM to if they want the source and
if they say yes you give them the SRPM iso on similar media. If you do
an update, then you should get the SRPMs corresponding to the update collected,
so that you can provide them. (If you want to cut down on space, you could
probably just provide SRPMs for packages that require you to provide source,
which would be at least anything gpl or lgpl.)

> Are then all images on virtualboximages.org in defiance of the
> GPL?.Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I don't know. If they include binaries for gpl'd code (which would be any
running linux at the very least), then they have an obligation to provide
source.