FC14 good/bad news

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Nov 28 15:48:34 UTC 2010

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> If glxgears is running at 60 fps it may be just sync'd with the refresh rate.

It absolutely is, possibly I should have mentioned that. But it is not
intuitive that accelerated video drivers would map to lower frame rates
and less smooth screen updates. If the old drivers could use horizontal
retrace sync (or perhaps none at all?) why are "better" drivers slower?
And more importantly, why do the gears visibly twitch and change
rotational rate when they appeared smooth with the old drivers?

I have said before that too much effort was going into eye candy like
wobbly windows, and not enough into support for older video hardware.
The 2nd part HAS improved, at least in the case of my Radeon hardware, I
don't have to use vesa or vendor drivers to have stable operation. In
the next few days I will be trying some non-Radeon video, I look forward
to the information.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>
   "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we