F14 X server problem

Dick St. Peters stpeters at NetHeaven.com
Mon Nov 29 01:33:35 UTC 2010

Tom Horsley writes:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:33:54 -0500
> Dick St. Peters wrote:
>
> > I need to run X with the fvwm window manager, but the F14 X server
> > doesn't play nice with fvwm
>
> I use fvwm all the time, I've never had the X server die on me.
> Maybe you have something in your .fvwmrc file that
> refers to some specific font for titles or menus or something that
> the X server finds offensive? (Not that it should crash).

Well, the F13 X server copied to and running on my F14 system does not
mind anything the F14 fvwm does with the same .fvwmrc and fonts (and
libraries).  Also, the F14 fvwm with the same .fvwmrc and fonts works
fine with the F14 Xvnc.

Let's be precise: you are using the F14-distributed fvwm with the
F14-distributed /usr/bin/Xorg server, and it's working?  In other
words:

$ rpm -qa | egrep 'fvwm|xorg-x11-server-Xorg'
fvwm-2.5.30-2.fc14.i686
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.9.1-3.fc14.i686

--
Dick St. Peters, stpeters at NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY