Virtualbox, F14 and External USB disk

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 16:32:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Alain Roger <raf.news at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my host is Windows 7 x64 and i have installed VirtualBox latest version.
> in VirtualBox i have a guest F14 with latest updates.
>
> when i connect my external USB disk to PC, VirtualBox detects it and make it
> available for guest (F14) as Mass storage.
> However, under F14 i'm not able to find this disk.
> 1. how can i check for sure that USB disk is available or not ?

I'm running Windows under F14 while you're doing the opposite so I'm
not sure if it would be the same, but when you boot the F14 guest if
you right-click on the USB icon in the bottom right of the VB window,
does it list your usb device? If so, what happens when you left-click
on it? Does it get a check mark?

> 2. how should i mount it if it is not already mounted ?

If it can be actively connected to your F14 guest then I would think
it would auto-mount assuming you're using Gnome/KDE...

Richard