Wireless System Connection - How?

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Mon Nov 29 23:17:09 UTC 2010

On 11/28/2010 07:34 PM, agraham wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want my laptop to connect to my Wifi as a "System Connection" by
> default (assuming now wired LAN is plugged in).
>
> I'm using KDE (F14), in Edit Network Connections - KDE Control Module
> there are two options:
>
> 1. Connect Automatically
> 2. System Connection
>
> The second option is always greyed out - and I don't know why?
>
> I would assume that if I login as root and setup this as a system
> connection it should create the neccessary ifcfg-wlan0 file with boot=Yes.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers to docs?

I created the connection using "mn-connection-editor" (which creates
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-{essid}).

ESSID="eeepc"
MODE=Managed
KEY_MGMT=WPA-PSK
TYPE=Wireless
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME=eeepc
UUID=81e824f2-0a36-4463-a229-0d56da90ca2b
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:22:43:42:10:1D
PEERDNS=yes
PEERROUTES=yes

nm_connection_editor has the "Available to all users" + "connect
automatically"

knetworkmanager's "system connection" is never enabled for some reason.

All works perfectly now, btw this machine is the EeePC 1000, and I've
compiled my own 26.6.36 kernel and the "RaLink RT2860" wireless card is
now fully supported in 802.11n mode - which is great. Goodbye ralink
drivers..

Thanks.

Albert.