Converting ext4 to xfs

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 06:43:15 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was any way I could convert an ext4 partition
into an xfs partition without copying around files onto a separate
partition and reformatting. The partition in question is my /home on a
volume group of its own.

I realised, lately I have been dealing with very large files quite
often. Ranging from few hundred megs to a gig or two. So I decided to
switch to xfs. Do you think its worth the effort?

Also since we are talking about my /home here, there will also be small
conf/settings files along with the large files. Do you think that would
be disadvantageous somehow? Would it make more sense to shrink my /home
and have a separate xfs partition in the created space for the large files?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

--
Suvayu