Setting up a Linksys WRT54G router for SSH port forwarding

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Oct 4 23:26:20 UTC 2010

Jim writes:

>   Fedora 12 on both computers
>
> I have two computers setting behind this Linksys WRT54G router and I
> want to connect to both of them by SSH remote across the Internet.    I
> have the internet IP for this router.
>
> #1   192.168.1.100
>
> #2   192.168.1.101
>

> In the The Applications and Gaming Tab - Port Range Forward Tab , I have
> setup one computer as      ,    ssh    22     22    Both
> 192.168.1.100    enable      and it works okay.
>
> But how do I setup computer #2    192.168.1.101 .

On Computer #2 edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and set ListenAddress to have #2
listen on a different port.

Then forward the different port in your router in the same manner you've
forwarded port 22.

Actually, it's a good idea to have both of your machines listening on some
randomly-chosen non-default port for ssh connections. Keeps the script
kiddies away.