AVI and gxine

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:49:46 UTC 2010

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>       Hello,
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Erik P. Olsen<epodata at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/10 22:02, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>
>>>        Hello,
>>>
>>>     I wanted to watch a video in AVI format. Since xine supposedly can
>>> play AVI, I installed gxine from the Fedora repository. When I tried
>>> to play the AVI movie, I get the message:
>>>
>>>     "Error loading library: msvidc32.dll"
>>>
>>>     Besides being surprised that a required library is missing, I find
>>> the name odd for a Linux library. What is going on? Thanks!
>>>

>> yum whatprovides */msvidc32.dll
>> wine-core-1.1.29-3.fc12.i686 : Wine core package
>>
>    Ah, I was slooking for libmsvidc.
>
>    Anyway, I did
>
>    yum wine-core
>
>    now and rebooted, but I still get the same error.
>
>       Take care
>       Oliver

There is quite a bit of info on this file,

msvidc32.dll

They say for the most that this is a virus.

Although it is a legit Microsoft codec.

I do believe it falls in to the same category as the " WMV missing codec or WMA missing codec" trip with Windows.
It usually says it needs a special player.

Try the avi file on a windows based player or try and play it with VLC.
If VLC cant play it then it is a problem file, more that likely a virus or spyware

Michael