NetworkManager, usb_modeswitch and Option GSM modem

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Oct 9 11:04:20 UTC 2010

Hi all,

until several update cycles ago NetworkManager handled my Option GT Max
PCMCIA modem card perfectly. It automatically switched it from mass
storage to modem and activated the modem function.

Nowaday I have to manually switch the card invoking
'usb_modeswitch -c 05c6:1000:sVe=Option' before I be able to use
NetworkManager.

Question: Is this manual operation the new intended usage?

In /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf there is an option DisableSwitching=0 so the
automatic switching upon insertion of the card may be still intended.

If automatic operation is intended use, please could someone give me a
hint where to start searching for a resolution to provide a fix?
(unfortunately I didn't follow the discussion about hal / udev/
packagekit or whatever may be in charge of device handling nowadays).

Peter