Broken mail readers (was Re: Properly wiping a hard drive ?)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Oct 11 18:07:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 23:29:45 -0400,
  Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 09:59 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>

> > The mail client is usually the one that adds the
> > message id. If it doesn't, then gmail is the one
> > adding it.
>

>    As far as I know - the message ID is the responsibility of the MTA
> not the MUA - the MUA creates or appends to the References: header and
> the In-Reply-To header - these can be used for threading.

The MUA should be creating the message ID. But MTA's that see a message without
one, should add one. The message that gets bcc'd and the one that goes through
the list should have the same message ID, as it is really the same message
instance. See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html for more information.