How to change console font in grub2?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 05:01:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:32:17 -0700
> Dean S. Messing wrote:
>>
>>  <http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2010/03/grub2-poor-design-decisions.html>
>>
>> has written some superb articles on his blog about Grub2 on Fedora.  The
>> above URL is some of his observations with which I heartily agree,
>> having begun to wade into the grub2 "system" myself.
>
> Yea, I've noticed the same problems with grub2, but the recommendation
> in that blog to just directly edit the grub config file will get
> you in big trouble when you download a kernel update that uses the
> "official" update-grub tool and wipes out all your changes.
>
> He misses one of the other annoying "helpful" features where
> grub2 persists in disabling the default boot timeout when there
> is some problem with booting once. That is horrible in a virtual
> machine environment where most of the time you never even see
> the console screen, and even though there are 47,621,333 options
> to edit in the 67,529 config files, disabling this "feature"
> isn't one of the easily editable options.
>
> My recommendation would be to wait for grub3 before changing the
> fedora default boot loader :-).

Since Fedora has pretty much forked grub1, maybe its next upgrade of
grub should be grub3; we're at v0.97, so there's only v0.98 and v0.99
left, and they could be skipped.

I used to keep a copy of grub.cfg in "/root" to edit and copy over
after update-grub would run. I then used to edit the scripts in
"/etc/grub.d" but got tired of having to re-edit them after grub2
updates (I run Debian Sid's grub2 and it's updated quite regularly,
including its scripts so my changes were overwritten - I didn't want
to do the same as with grub.cfg because I wanted to use whatever the
latest script changes were). I've given up for the time being and just
customize what little "/etc/default/grub" allows me to control.

If you comment out or delete the "recordfail" stuff in "/etc/grub.d"
or in grub.cfg, it won't behave that way; but, as you point out, it's
unfortunately not possible (but essential) to enable its control in
"/etc/default/grub". Just like it isn't possible to ensure that
certain partitions aren't added (like Windows recovery partitions), to
ensure that the memory test stanzas aren't created, to edit
"/etc/default/grub" to edit the grub menu names, to choose how many
kernels in "/boot" to add the the grub menu (Debian/Ubuntu used to
have a grub1 "howmany" option, for those who like to keep 100s of
kernels, whereby update-grub would create a config that displayed the
latest x kernels in the grub menu), to choose to have more than one
alternative to runlevel 5 (Debian/Ubuntu used to have a grub1
"altoptions" option whereby update-grub would create a config that
displayed runlevel 2 - 5 in Fedora-speak - and the usual "recovery"
stanza but you could add extra altoptions, for example to create three
entries per kernel, one of which would append "text" to the kernel
line {basically "everything but X"}). The last two aren't essential of
course but the first two/three are (and an option to choose which of
the other "/etc/grub.d" scripts to run would be nice although that
would only affect grub.cfg and not the actual menu that's displayed at
boot).