X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:23:49 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 15:38:33 Claude Jones wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 9:46 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
> Here's the last section of my Xorg.0.log file:
[snip]

I didn't see any errors in the log about X failing or something. I'd suggest
the following:

1) remove/rename any existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
2) create a new dummy user
3) do a clean boot into runlevel 3
4) login as the dummy user, do a startx
5) see X fail, copy /var/log/Xorg.0.log
6) post the whole file for us to see

While you're at it, replace the mouse with some ordinary stupid USB or PS/2
mouse for the experiment, just to be on the safe side. ;-)

The Xorg.0.log should contain (EE) lines which should give a clue what went
wrong. If there are none, try to startx with a "--logverbose n" option,
choosing n as 4,5,6,...

Also, when you do a startx, make sure X isn't actually running properly in F7
console or elsewhere... ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko