How to change console font in grub2?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 05:41:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

>> > any reason you did not use grub2 that is in fedora?
>>
>> Since J Katz left, unsure it anyone has worked on it.
>
> I have been making sure it works. It still needs alot of work to be a drop in
> replacement for legacy grub. I have some of my machines using grub2  i use
> the rpms in fedora. you can use grub2-install to install to disk. only gotcha
> is that you need to use grub2-foo not grub-foo as most docs have. it lives
> purely coinstallable with grub until such time as it can be a official
> replacement.

Debian and Ubuntu's grub2 is co-installable with grub1 (with grub1
installed to the MBR and chainloading grub2). The grub2-* commands are
Fedora-isms; it looks like the Fedora maintainer renames the commands
(I haven't installed it for a while but the last time that I tested
it, running some commands with "--help" gave the standard grub-*
output) and packages it for it to be available in the repos (not a
criticism, just an observation).

Fedora's generally at the cutting edge of just about every package so
I don't understand its attitude towards grub2. It's been Ubuntu's
default for a year and it'll be Debian's default for its next stable
release (early next year?!) so it's not a question of reliability,
stability, or usability. F15?