Bad drive copy ?

brett brett.mahar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 22:31:13 UTC 2010

Subject:
Bad drive copy ?
From:
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:52:03 -0600

To:
users at lists.fedoraproject.org

>I purchased an external 2 TB SATA hard drive.  I connected it to my
>laptop via a USB interface.  I partitioned it to 1 large partition and
>formatted it to ext4.
>Tonight when I accessed some of the data, I found errors.   The file
>sizes read correctly but the data in the files is corrupted.

Have you had the hard drive mounted via more than one linux distro since formatting? I had issues when switching between Ubuntu, Fedora and Slackware, while accessing files off a usb hard drive. This happened using both ext3 and ext4. I reformatted using ReiserFS and have not had a problem since. I have no idea if using Reiser was the cure if it is a coincidence, but it seems more stable in my subjective opinion. I have no facts or numbers to back this up, but may be worth a try.
Brett.