Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 08:01:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net> wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 10:55:18 AM, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> I would like to ask any NVidia Fedora users do you use open source or
>> proprietary NVidia drivers?
>> I’m asking because Fusion Linux [1] ships only with default open
>> source drivers but if NVidia users wish I can also include
>> proprietary
>> driver and have it pre-installed by default. I don’t have any NVidia
>> hardware running Fedora so any donations are also welcome
>
> Hmmmm ... I think I understand your problem. However, unless you wish
> to have the wrath of the Open Source community descend upon your head,

What is "the wrath of the Open Source community" ? ;) Please define
this first so that I can decide if I want it or not.

> I would suggest avoiding proprietary drivers. Aside from being
> poitically correct (no offense intended) you don't wish to put your

Look I'm Floss evangelist for many years but I personally use what
works. If I need my wifi to work I'll put binary firmware blob to make
it work, also if I have better closed source app I'll use it until
floss one gets at least close enough to be usable. I'm very pragmatic
and don't like banging my head into walls if there are open doors that
I can walk through.

> users in the position of being incompatible with the rest of Fedora
> going forward. For example, when the need to get a new kernel but don't
> realize that this makes their Nvidia driver appear to vanish.
>
> As an alternative, why not put a README somewhere obvious that explains
> the tradeoffs, says where to pick up various version of the driver and
> how to install them.
>
> One final thought. Why would you install by default a driver for which
> you don't have hardware and thus can't test?

Because users have contacted me and asked for it.

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
blog: http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic, MSN: valent.turkovic at hotmail.com