Copy and paste in Terminal

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 14 14:59:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 00:22 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > And you are missing the point.  There are two separate processes.  One
> > of them copy/pastes to the system wide copy/paste "buffer", is the same
> > as EDIT/copy and EDIT/paste in most menus, and can be bound to
> > keystrokes or either c-c and c-v or similar.  The other is done by just
> > highlighting text with the mouse.  You are describing the 2nd process.
> > I was showing you that the 2 processes are separate and different.  The
> > OP was claiming that the 2nd process no longer worked for him (but I'm
> > unsure on what version of Fedora he is running), but that using the
> > copy/paste commands (not mouse clicks) worked for him, but he wanted the
> > mouse stiff to work for him again....
>
> Yes, that's correct. I know at some point in the distant past, when I
> last really used Linux on the desktop, I was able to copy/paste by
> just highlighting in X11 and ctrl-v to paste (without having to use
> ctrl-c to copy), or just pressing the right mouse button in an xterm.
>
> The middle button is a bit difficult for me, because it tends to
> scroll while I'm pressing down on it, causing weird results.
>
> i'm using FC13, but I really doubt it's related to the version. It's
> such a fundamental feature that I can't see how it would have changed.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to be able to highlight text in any application and
> have it automatically copied to the buffer, then use the right mouse
> button, or ctrl-v, to paste somewhere else.
>
> btw, I also recall v0.12. I also remember a slightly later version
> that came to me from Yggdrasil on 60 floppies. X11 was on the last six
> or eight or so (they were alphabetical according to programs, IIRC). I
> also used X11 on a few Sun workstations, and the GNU utils were the
> first thing I did to them after getting my hands on them.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
I am not sure why you are making a big thing of this. It is not the
right button that effects the paste, it is the middle button. If you are
having trouble with the scroll wheel get a mouse without a scroll wheel.
The paste is never automatic. It needs the pressing of the middle
button. You can of course arrange for the right button to act as the
middle button but that is not necessary.
Knowledge without common sense is folly.
Aaron Konstanz telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net