X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Oct 14 16:38:41 UTC 2010

On 10/14/2010 4:56 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> The only idea I am able to think of is to investigate further (ie. read more
> logs). You can do a startx with the "--logverbose 4" option (or higher than
> 4), and try to find out what happens in that blank second (between [35.965] and
> [36.682] in the above example).  Also, monitor /var/log/messages and dmesg for
> the same period.
>
> If there is no hint in any of those logs, I'd submit a bug against nouveau, or
> ask on their mailing list (they seem responsive afaict).

Thanks for looking, Marko - I deleted the Xorg.0.conf file this morning
and restarted the machine in runlevel 3 as you originally proposed. I
then logged in as the new 'test' user and got the same result. I have
created a .pdf of the Xorg.0.log, the dmesg log,m and a truncated
messages log (I deleted everything before the reboot) - this is still
way too long to post here. If you or anyone else has the time to look,
here's a link to it:
http://www.tehogeeservices.com/files/Fresh_bootup_logs_101014.pdf

I just can't spot a smoking gun in all this - it's a mystery. (of course
it might be staring me in the face)
The problem with the nouveau bug theory is that this all started while I
was still running the rpmfusion version of the proprietary nVidia
driver; I reverted to nouveau thinking the nVidia driver was the
culprit, but got the exact same behavior with nouveau; I forgot to
investigate your chron job theory, but, keep in mind, this was running
one moment, for many months, and stopped the next (I'll still check this
out when I get home) - dexter suggested re-installing xorg and mesa -
does this make sense?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA