X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:16:09 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 14, 2010 17:38:41 Claude Jones wrote:
> Thanks for looking, Marko - I deleted the Xorg.0.conf file this morning
> and restarted the machine in runlevel 3 as you originally proposed. I
> then logged in as the new 'test' user and got the same result. I have
> created a .pdf of the Xorg.0.log, the dmesg log,m and a truncated
> messages log (I deleted everything before the reboot) - this is still
> way too long to post here. If you or anyone else has the time to look,
> here's a link to it:
> http://www.tehogeeservices.com/files/Fresh_bootup_logs_101014.pdf

I've looked through the logs. Nothing suspicious that I can see.

> The problem with the nouveau bug theory is that this all started while I
> was still running the rpmfusion version of the proprietary nVidia
> driver; I reverted to nouveau thinking the nVidia driver was the
> culprit, but got the exact same behavior with nouveau; I forgot to
> investigate your chron job theory, but, keep in mind, this was running
> one moment, for many months, and stopped the next (I'll still check this
> out when I get home) - dexter suggested re-installing xorg and mesa -
> does this make sense?

I don't know. X doesn't seem to complain about any error whatsoever,
everything appears to be in order from its point of view. I am not sure
reinstalling xorg or mesa will do any good.

OTOH, you might try to boot a Fedora Live CD, just to be sure that hardware is
still ok, run a memtest, etc. In general I hate to suggest a reinstall of the
whole OS, but since there is no obvious way to understand the problem you
have, maybe a reinstall would be a quick way out of problems. Just be sure to
backup all your data.

Maybe someone else has a fresh idea what might be going wrong?

Best, :-)
Marko