X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Oct 14 17:50:36 UTC 2010

On 10/14/2010 1:16 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> OTOH, you might try to boot a Fedora Live CD, just to be sure that hardware is
> still ok, run a memtest, etc. In general I hate to suggest a reinstall of the
> whole OS, but since there is no obvious way to understand the problem you
> have, maybe a reinstall would be a quick way out of problems. Just be sure to
> backup all your data.
I've booted from a Fedora live CD - that's how I'm getting those logs
out of the machine - the machine runs fine and acts normally in that
mode, so I sort of don't think this is hardware. I have only reinstalled
Fedora once since 2003 due to an intractable problem I grew tired of
trying to solve - it rubs me the wrong way to give up, though it is
probably the simplest path. My data is multiply backed up, so that's not
an issue - think I'll wait and see if anyone else has the time to look
at those logs - you sort of confirmed what I thought about them, but,
one never knows

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA