Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 16:43:06 UTC 2010

  On 10/15/10 4:26 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> [snip to clarify comment]
> Well, yeah, and quite right too.  We can't fix proprietary drivers and
> we don't even know how they work.  We could spend our time debugging
> the interaction between proprietary drivers and our code, while trying
> to reverse-engineer the weird things the proprietary code may do.  Or,
> we could work on our own code to make it good so that people don't
> need the proprietary code any more.

Is it not the job of those who provide the code to fix it?  I always
thought that was the case.  The Fedora project folks should not be
moving things around to satisfy nVidia, AMD or Intel.  The point is that
nVidia can and does state what kernel version they tested with.  The
person using those drivers should install the corresponding Fedora
Kernel.  If it does not work, then it is up to nVidia to fix, not Fedora....

The OpenSource drivers should be doing this already.

James McKenzie