Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 16:50:12 UTC 2010

  On 10/14/10 1:52 AM, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> This post has raised some heat in blog comments and also in Fedora
> mailing list discussion.
Discussing OpenSource versus Proprietary always brings heat.  Folks have
to remember thought, that the OpenSource drivers do not support features
and products that the proprietary drivers do, due to the 'hiding' of
information by Vendors and the time it takes to black box test a
particular feature.  That is a fact of life and we all need to keep that
in mind when someone asks:

"Open or closed source"?

Well what video card do you have and what do you plan to do with it?

Older model, 2D and simple 3D:  Open Source, almost always.
Newer model (not on the OSS driver supported list) or complex 3D.
Proprietary, mainly.  As the OSS driver picks up more features AND the
video card becomes 'older' then the OSS driver should be selected over
proprietary.

Simple answer, complex solution as information has to be gathered and
suggestions should be made with caveats "This works for me" or "Your
Mileage May Vary".

No need to argue here.  This is about as cut and dried as it can be
made.  Some folks swear by Open Source, others at it.  Some swear by
nVidia/Catalyst/Intel, others at it.  Nobody is ever going to be
completely satisfied by someone else's solution if they are not doing
EXACTLY the same things.

James McKenzie