Copy and paste in Terminal

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 17:31:21 UTC 2010

  On 10/15/2010 08:03 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Friday, October 15, 2010 14:19:28 Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 23:03 -0400, Alex wrote:
>>> Okay, I can now say I really don't like using the middle wheel. It
>>> requires me to take my hands off the keyboard twice. I'd really like
>>> to be able to highlight the the mouse, and paste with a keyboard
>>> combination.
>> You seem to be mixing up the two methods of copying. You highlight with
>> the left mouse button and copy with the middle mouse button. NO keyboard
>> is involved,
> No, Alex understands that there are two separate ways to copy-paste. We
> clarified that before in the thread. What he wants is to unify the two
> clipboard buffers --- to select with the mouse and paste with the keyboard.
> Mainly because he doesn't feel comfortable clicking with the mouse wheel.
>
> This can probably be achieved using some clipboard manager software, but
> requires some configuring. I've never done anything similar, he needs to
> investigate various managers and find out.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

What Alex can do in order to force the highlighted word or text
to go into the buffer that can be pasted with ctrl-shivf-v,
is to
1. highlight the text or anything for that matter (such as a web page)
2. right click in the same area
3. select copy
This will put the copied buffer into the same buffer that ctr-shift-v
will paste in any window.

This way, he completely avoids the middle button for pasting.