How to change console font in grub2?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 00:27:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/10/10 22:06, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2010/06/upgrading-fedora-13-to-grub2.html
>>
>> The blog is incorrect. When you install grub2, it sets itself up in
>> parallel with grub1 (as it does in other distributions). You can then
>> chainload grub2 from grub1. If you're satisfied that your box can
>> boot, you can then install gettext and run grub2-install and
>> grub2-mkconfig to switch over completely to grub2.
>
> Some instructions would be nice.
> I hosed my first attemp using fedoras grub2 pafe.

First step (chainloaded from grub1):
yum install grub2 gettext
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Reboot and choose "GRUB 2" from the grub1 menu to ensure that the
chainloading works. The "GRUB 2" entry should load the grub1
equivalent of stage 1.5 but located in "/boot/grub2", which should
then load the grub2 menu. If you're satisfied with the boot, you can
go to the next stage.

Second step ("full" install):
grub2-install /dev/sda

(I vaguely remember filing a bug report for grub2 to depend on gettext
a few months ago.)