Which package you would like every new Fedora user to see?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Oct 16 21:12:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:48:28 +0200
Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Audio and video codecs including flash are preinstalled. We are going
> the path of Linux Mint to make user experience best as possible right
> out of the box, and for not that means also including few non-open
> components. As soon as they become redundant we will drop them for
> open source ones. But unfortunately for now there must be few
> proprietary pieces in order to make linux destop usable for non geeks
> and non developers ie. regular users.

I did a search a few years ago, and I think the patents on mpeg
start to expire next year and continue to expire in dribs and drabs
over the next few years. I suspect that is part of the reason for the
new proprietary video standard being proposed for html5. ;-)

So you should be home free in a couple of years.