Chromium Codecs Problem...

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Sun Oct 17 08:42:25 UTC 2010

2010/10/16 Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com>:
> Hi! as many of you may know, Chromium is having problems
> inside fedora with youtube's HTML 5 Video, see, when I want to
> play a HTML 5 Video in youtube, this message comes out:
> "Your browser does not correctly recognize any of the video formats
> available"
> in ubuntu-debian based distros the problem gets solved by installing the
> "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-nonfree" package, but this one is not available in
> fedora, at least not with that name.
> ¿Can someone tell me the name of this package in Fedora 13?
> Thanks!
> Oh! and if you want to reproduce the problem inside your chromium browser,
> just
> try to open this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU
> If you open it in Firefox it will play, but not inside C:
romium.
<--SNIP-->

Hello!
First of all, I was surprised by the ability of html5 video support in
google chrome while it is absent in FireFox. I run
FireFox-3.5.12-1.fc12.i686. However this page [1] states
that~\cite{Firefox 3.5 introduced support for the HTML 5 <audio>  and
<video>  elements, offering the ability to easily embed media into
HTML documents.} But I'm unable to play html5 video on YouTube using
FireFox :-(
Second, I even didn't know there's a possibility of switching to html5
format on YouTube [2]! Probably I have to read docs a bit more [3]!
And the last, but not the least. I have no such problem with google
chrome (google-chrome-stable-6.0.472.63-59945.i386, installed form
google repo). I also have this package installed:
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.10-1.fc12.1.i686
Hope that helps!
P.S. The video you've posted is a bit provocative! I was really
annoyed with this bullshit micro$oft promotional.
R E F E R E N C E S
1. https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_audio_and_video_in_Firefox
2. http://www.youtube.com/html5
3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#YouTube_and_WebM_support