How to update an EeePC?

Zoltan Hoppar hopparz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 23:56:25 UTC 2010

I had, I have - and still use it. Basically I do installs always with
an 2 G usb key,  and install the smallest option what I could have in
Fedora. It's the LXDE spin, witch works perfectly. You could install
any versions of our beloved OS, but don't forget that you have only 4G
SSD storage. When updates are coming, mainly you could run out quickly
from storage if you keep the system, and the default partition setup
what offers with the first install the anaconda. For example the gnome
version runs perfectly, with an little partition setup modification,
but - alas - it eats 3/4 of the storage.

If you run out of storage, but updates are still there, sometimes,
deleting them - and rebuild of the rpmDB might be useful.

I also suggest for a good performance at least 1G RAM module, and use
the card as external storage formatted as ext3.ú

HTH,

Zoltan.

PS: I use it always for my mobile work as secondary machine, but
mainly only for keep the contacts, and browsing, or some jukebox
possibility from card. You must to know, I customise highly the basic
install, and I use compact apps to multimedia - but always keep front
of my eyes that I need such single apps, that solving more of my
needed tasks and you will be REALLY happy with it. I also suggest
portablelinuxapps.org too, where you need only download, add execute
permission - and you could use them happily without any dependency.

If you have more questions, send it.

2010/10/18 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>:

> I have an EeePC (4G 701) with 500kB RAM and a 4GB hard disk.
> It's currently running Fedora-10/KDE .
> (I haven't used the computer for a couple of years.)
>
> I have been trying to update it to Fedora-13.
> I tried installing LiveXFCE on a USB stick,
> but this hung when it was looking at or for Storage Devices
> (soon after it had asked for the su password).
>
> I also tried with pxeboot/cobbler ,
> but this also hung .
>
> I don't have a CD reader for the machine.
> I've installed an 8GB SD card,
> on which I've created two 4GB partitions.
> But this doesn't seem very reliable;
> sometimes it is recognised as /dev/sdb ,
> but other times it is not seen by fdisk .
>
> I'll try a couple of other ways of installing F-13,
> installing from the Fedora DVD ISO on the SD card,
> and maybe updating to F-11 and thence to F-13.
>
> But I wondered if anyone has advice on this,
> particularly anyone who has installed F-13 on such a machine?
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366