authentication issues in system settings

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Oct 18 13:15:40 UTC 2010

On Sunday, October 17, 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:29 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > I'm running F14TC1x64 - it's a fresh install over a
> > problematic F13x64 installation that had problems with X
> > starting; display problem is now fixed. When I try to access
> > system settings GUI's for Samba I get a grayed out display
> > and no prompt to give the root password. There are similar
> > issues with trying to run the firewall configuration applet
> > from the menu. If I run the system- config commands from a
> > root terminal, things work fine. Any suggestions on how to
> > fix this?
>
> This is more appropriate for the Test list. You can find it at

I've been a member of both lists since 2003. I asked here because
I don't think this is an F14 issue. I've had variations of this
problem across several versions of Fedora - system-settings, while
a nice feature-set that puts all the major configuration applets
in one convenient place, has never worked completely faultlessly.
I had hoped that the greater pool of users on the regular list
would have gotten me a greater chance at a reply.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA