Installing Openshot video editor

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:59:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>> If it just interfaces with
>> separately installed codecs (from PRM Fusion or other) then why not?
>
> In order to use openshot you must have mlt installed. mlt is the
> frontend to use ffmpeg as the backend. ffmpeg is not allowed in normal
> Fedora repositories for patent reasons.
>
> Cross-repository dependencies are a big no-no. No package in Fedora
> depends on packages in a third party repository.
>
> P.S. kdenlive also uses mlt.

Oh well... I installed it remotely from work so I'll try it out
tonight. I looked at kdenlive's website and it looks like a good
program but probably more powerful than I need for basic editing of
family videos. If openshot works for my needs I'll petition for it to
be added to RPMFusion.

Thanks,
Richard