How to change console font in grub2?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:41:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:29:19 -0400
> Tom H wrote:

>> Unlike lilo, grub2-mkconfig doesn't re-write the MBR; a big
>> difference.
>
> Not really. Just because you have to run extra commands for
> a different reason doesn't mean it isn't just as irritating.
> Come to think of it, at least lilo had a good reason to make
> you run extra commands, grub2 only has idiotic design decisions
> as a reason.

I don't think that once grub2 is production-ready in Fedora that extra
commands'll have to be run when a kernel is installed or uninstalled.

>> Also, in grub1, grubby edits "/boot/grub/grub.conf" when a
>> new kernel is installed so grub1's behavior isn't that different from
>> grub2's.
>
> But it is: /boot/grub/grub.conf is the one and only place
> where grub config is stored so if you edit it by hand,
> unless you do something that horribly confuses grubby,
> you will not have your changes destroyed by grubby.
>
> Until /boot/grub/grub.cfg is the one and only place where
> config information is stored in grub2, it will be inferior
> to grub (no matter how many millions of loadable modules
> it comes with :-).

"/etc/default/grub" is meant to be the only grub2 file to edit.
Unfortunately, there aren't enough options available (as we've both
listed earlier in this thread).

Before I gave up on getting everything to be as I wanted, I used to
edit "/etc/default/grub", most of the scripts in "/etc/grub.d", and
"/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig"... Definitely not pleasant or efficient.