Multi-users access to audio (pulseaudio?)

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Oct 21 02:17:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:34:25 -0600 (MDT)
S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to grant access to audio to certain users other
> than the one currently login physically / on console. I tried to
> add all those users to the group pulse-access, pulse, and audio,
> but it does not work. I still get this error:
>
> $ paplay /usr/share/sounds/gnome/default/alerts/sonar.ogg
> Connection failure: Connection refused
> pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
>
> Anybody know how to setup this?

PulseAudio in its native configuration restricts sound to the first
user to log in, as a security measure.

There is a way to use pulseauido as a system server, but as I
understand it there are flaws or issues.  One, I think, is that
everyone hears everything from everyone else.  If there is only one
device on the system, and two people want to play different music
through it, they will both play at the same time.  Probably not what
you want.

I suggest you ask this question on the pulseaudio mailing list as
the pulseaudio maintainers are regulars there.

pulseaudio-discuss at mail.0pointer.de

You can  search the archives for the pulseaudio mail list at
http://www.gmane.org.  Do a search for pulseaudio to bring it up.

You can sign up at

https://tango.0pointer.de/mailman/options/pulseaudio-discuss/