No audio, video plays at 8x

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Oct 21 22:03:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:32:45 -0400
Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what happened, but just this afternoon, perhaps after the
> most recent set of FC13 updates, I have no audio and video plays at
> least at 8x normal speed. This includes videos from mplayer, audio
> from Pandora (the Adobe Air application) plays at more than double
> speed (by time, not by sound, as it's completely silent). It seems
> that VLC plays the video at normal speed, but there is no audio.

I see nothing in your information that implies there should be any
change in sound or video handling.  There were no library changes,
perhaps earlier than these?

Can you play pure audio through, say, audacious or xmms?

> Is there any further information I can provide to help troubleshoot
> this?

Is it possible that your sound device has gone bad?  Did you notice
any power spikes recently?

Do you have a spare sound device you can test with?

If you install pavucontrol, what does it show for devices available to
pulseaudio?

Is there any chance of overheating of your system?  If you turn it off
and let it sit for a while (to cool), and then restart it, do you have
sound and video?

It sounds to me like a hardware error, rather than software or
configuration.