Looking to add permanently mounted USB drive

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 15:10:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:00:55 -0400
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Should I expect any challenges with these drives to set
> them up as Unix partitions (and set up the whole drive as an LVM partition)?

They look just like any other disk drive, I haven't had a problem
with my seagate.

The thing to watch out for is drives like some western digitals which
come with an insanely annoying artifical "cdrom" as part of the
drive. It isn't really a cdrom, so it confuses things that
expect it to be one and clutters your desktop with phony icons,
and there is no way I've found to just make it disappear.