Question about F14 x64...

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 22 19:59:11 UTC 2010

 I've been building out a new laptop and trying to copy over the contents of my userspace from my old laptop to my new laptop.  I
keep running out of space on my new laptop even though my home directory is only 6.6Gb and the userspace (/home) on the new laptop
hase 156Gb of space.  So I cleared out everything from my /home directory on my new machine and now I see this:

[root at ktmtoshiba /]# du -sh home
24K    home

[root at ktmtoshiba /]# df -h
/dev/mapper/vg_ktmtoshiba-lv_root
                       50G  7.2G   40G  16% /
tmpfs                 1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda5             485M   28M  432M   6% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_ktmtoshiba-lv_home
                      164G  188M  155G   1% /home

How can du show that home is 24k (which is probably ok since there are no files in there, just my home directory and lost+found)
while df shows /home as having 188M used?

Any pertinent thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Kevin