quasi-[OT] Adobe Flash

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 06:27:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:28:05AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 19:41 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > When the script executes the above command, another file descriptor is
> > opened under the pid for tail. This stays linked to the (deleted)
> > /tmp/FlashXXXX file even after the link under the browser's pid has
> > been deleted and inotify keeps waiting for the original file to be
> > deleted!
>
> Perhaps, but even after killing the grab-flash process the /tmp/Flash*
> file still hangs around for a while, so something else is going on. Some
> more experimentation is needed.
>
> [... time passes ...]
>
> OK, I took another look and it seems we are talking at cross purposes
> here. On my system, using both Firefox and Chromium, the Flash plugin
> does *not* delete the buffer file when it has finished playing. The file
> only disappears when another file is opened or the browser terminates.
>
> This is on F13 using the 64-bit flash plugin in
> libflashplayer-10.0.d20.7.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz (from Adobe).

In my setup I am using F13 64-bit flash plugin which is distributed by
Adobe in the file flashplayer_square_p2_64bit_linux_092710.tar.gz

Under about:plugins this shows as,
(similar behaviour with Google Chrome)

Shockwave Flash 10.2 d161

I think for my (and most likely the OP's) version of flash plugin, the
/tmp file behaviour has changed. The file is unlinked as soon as it is
created although the plugin keeps writing to it. And it disappears the
moment I *close* the browser tab playing the flash content.

> If this is a different setup from what you have, I apologize for wasting
> everyone's time.

Not to worry, this has been a very educational discussion for me. :)

> poc

Suvayu