UUID

Darr darr at core.com
Sun Oct 24 18:31:56 UTC 2010

On Sunday, 24 October, 2010 @12:27 zulu, Patrick Dupre scribed:

> There is probably a tool to change the mounting point of the
> /etc/fstab file to UUID automatically ?

Anaconda does it automatically. :-)

I'd be interested in a standalone tool with that feature, too.
The only way I know how to do it is to use
$ blkid
to find out the UUID of all partitions (or spec the device if all you want
is the UUID of that one device), then copy+paste the UUID to /etc/fstab in
e.g. GEdit.

If the fstab GUI (fwfstab) would interrogate the drives for UUID and let you
add them like that, that feature might almost make up for stripping out
comment lines from /etc/fstab when you save the changes using it.