Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 22:26:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Should anyone have a better suggestion, please let me know.
>>

> Not sure, but maybe nouveau is also still being loaded? Do you still
> get the full resolution, pretty slash on boot up?

Yes I do.

> You shouldn't, once you install nvidia, blacklist nouveau (done
> automatically) and rebuild your initramfs. In fact, I think installing
> the nvidia driver now also adds a blacklist option to the kernel line
> in grub, as well as adding /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

It's blacklisted there as well as in the grub.conf, for the right kernel.

> Everytime you boot, it starts the "nvidia" service, which enables
> nvidia by checking/creating a new xorg.conf for you.
>
> If you install the nvidia driver when you already have an xorg.conf in
> place, this fails. That's why I suggested you move it out of the way
> first.

Yes, I removed it. This is not the problem, the problem now is that
something gets corrupted when I'm using nvidia so that upon restart
I'm back to the original problem (X never starts).

This time I made a copy of my xorg.conf right after I had a working
setup with nvidia drivers and a copy of it right before I shut the
computer down. There is no difference between the two files so it
isn't the xorg.conf which is the problem. Also, this time the computer
wouldn't start until I had completely removed (yum remove) all nvidia
drivers and manually removed the blacklistings.

This is really frustrating because I need the nvidia drivers to work.

> Maybe you can also check to see that you have 3D working?

I should obviuosly have checked this before I removed everything but
then again, I thought problem was solved...

Thanks to anyone that can help.

best,

/Henrik