NEW to 'Fedora 13'

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 06:17:08 UTC 2010

2010/10/15 stan <gryt2 at q.com>

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
> jeff breibart <jefflaw3 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> >     Just bought a used lap-top (-for our child) which has the 'Fedora
> > 13' OS installed.
> > (-the presence of LINUX was a positive influence in our decision to
> > buy this lap-top)
> >
> >    Unfortunately, my knowledge/familiarity with anything other than
> > MS XP is: ZERO !
> >
> >    After our purchase, I attempted to explore (its) "functionality";
> > as a result, I, inadvertently: a) eliminated some of the 'icons', and,
> >
> >                                          b) cannot 'access' the
> > Internet !
> >
> >                             HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> The good news is that your problem(s) is/are probably easily remedied
> by someone who is experienced in Fedora, or even linux.
>
> The bad news is you are not that person, and it will be difficult to
> guide you through the steps without more information.  It is like
> learning a different word processor.  The functionality is the same,
> but the commands to do things are all different.
>
> Do you know the root password?  Root is the administrator role that can
> do anything on the system.
>
> Have you set up a user account?  That is how you should normally use
> the system to avoid the kind of experiences you are having.
>
> Can you get to a console so you can login as root?  Ctl-Alt-F2 held
> down together.  To get back to the gui, Ctl-Alt-F1, or sometimes after
> multiple logins and logouts, Ctl-Alt-F7 or Ctl-Alt-F8.
> If you can login as root, try the command
> ifup eth0
> (presumes you have a wired connection)  That should get you
> internet access again.  If you have a wireless connection, you need to
> work with Network Manager.  That will be
> System->Administration->Network
> System->Administration-Network-Device-Control
>
> What happens if you just try rebooting?  Normally, that should bring
> the network back unless you turned it off.  That seems unlikely.
>
> Hope some of this helps.
>
> --

Send me a Link of your Screen (Just take a Screenshot with the proper key in
the keyboard, the "Print Screen" one or something like that)
and I'll be able to help you, Just send me the screenshot's link... Humm,
about your problem with the internet, Try to connect via wired connection
the computer (Ethernet cable) and then Go to your Applications menu, Open
Firefox and start browsing... If you don't have a Menu with:
"Applications>Places and System"
Then you're using the KDE Destop Enviroment, there you'll find firefox in
the "Start Menu" under "Applications>Internet" if you don't have firefox in
KDE then you can use Konqueror.

It might be helpful to take a look to this blog post:

http://ranjith.zfs.in/fedora-13-post-installation-guide/

With the screenshot I'll be able to send you a Good "Starter's Guide"

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6