Python learning

Jason Viloria jnvilo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 07:26:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:07 AM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 08:30:25PM -0400, David Christopher Chiipman wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 09:50 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > > I'm not an IDE person myself. I just use two terminal, one running vi
> (or vim
> > > or your preferred text editor (which need not need a terminal I
> suppose)) and
> > > a shell in the other to run the python script as needed.
> > >
> > > Vim with syntax highlighting is quite pleasant (if you like vi/vim).
> > >

> > I'm with Cameron on this, in fact, I'm surprised no one else menitoned
> > this as a possibility. I've used [g]vi[m], and it's syntax highlighting
> > for Python with al of my python programs. The one thing that might be
> > missing is maintaining tab stops (which are important in Python).
> > Later,
> >

> I'm not an IDE person either, but some people prefer having lots of
> programming aids like prompts for methods, members etc. Maybe the OP is
> looking for something like that?
>
> Now about the OP's question, if you are an emacs user you can checkout
> CEDET[1] however I am not too sure how complete the support is for python.

I  use wingware's python wing IDE for any sizable project [more than a few
files, work on it for more than a few days]. It is a python specific IDE.

http://www.wingware.com/wingide-personal/index

It is commercial, but they have a starter version which albeit has a lot of
features switched off but should have all the necessary requirements for
python and is more python specific than other alternatives. At the risk of
sounding like a commercial, I will say that I was very happy with it and
bought a few  personal licenses to support their great work.

Having said that,  most of the time I just stick with vim  for those one
time script edits or work on  servers.