X won't start after upgrade last night

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Oct 25 13:40:04 UTC 2010

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/24/2010 10:29 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I did an upgrade last night (fc13, x86) to get the security updates, and
>> on the reboot X doesn't come up. I think I've seen this before, but can
>> someone jog my memory what it messed up? And thoughts as to why would be
>> appreciated as well, of course.
>
> I know that if you're using kmod-nvidia you may have trouble after a
> kernel update if there's not a matching kmod update.  Does X come up if
> you boot into the previous kernel?

No amod/kmod in use, this is a stock system, and the messages regarding stale
locks are probably the clue, when I did the reboot the system didn't reboot, it
went down and hung. But I checked /var/lock for any leftover files, and didn't
find them, so if there are stale locks they are in some non-standard place.

Previous kernel does the same thing, comes up to a black screen with a mouse
pointer in the shape of a watch, and there it sits.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>