changing permissions for mounted drives

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:34:00 UTC 2010

  On 10/25/2010 01:27 AM, sumatheja wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 3:42 AM, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   On 10/23/2010 10:22 AM, sumatheja wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>            I have made a partition in my hard disk and mounted it to
>>> /media/xyz. But i'm unable to change the permissions of the mounted
>>> directory at all.
>>> I want to give read/write permissions to some of the users other than root.
>>>
>> Well, I have a vfat partition mounted from fstab,
>> in which I grant group access to a specific gid.
>>
>> /dev/sde3     /sde3   vfat   gid=777,user,rw,exec 0 0
>>
>> users in group 777 can read/write/execute.
>> They can execute the executable files in wine.
>>
>> Users in group 777 can mount and unmount.
>> In order to accomplish this,
>> the group permissions on /sdd3 and /dev/sdd3  is  rwx,
>> and the gid of /sde3 and /dev/sde3 is 777.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

> Thanks for responding. I have the following line in the /etc/fstab file
>
> UUID=<something>   /home/office   vfat   uid=500,users,rw,exec 0 0
>
> but still the directory is not allowing user with id 500 to write its
> only giving read and execute permission. Am i missing something???
Did you follow the full instructions?
What does
ls -ld /home/office show?
It should be owned by uid 500 and should have at least
permissions set to 700 (rwx --- ---)
In my case, since I was granting group permissions,
I set the group ownership of the mount point to gid 777
and set the permissions to rwx for owner root, rwx for
the group and 000 for the rest.