Update failes

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Oct 26 00:40:21 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 11:49 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, mike cloaked wrote:

>>> !!!!!!
>>> I am making updates since REDHAT 4.0 !!!!!!!!!!
>>> Should I change !!!!!!!!!!!
>>>
>> It is entirely up to you but the best advice I can offer is to listen
>> to what the very experienced Fedora users suggest what you should and
>> what you should not do! Ignoring the voice of experience is unwise!
>>
> I am perfectly happy with that.
>
> The story is:
> I tried to update 1 system from fedora 10 to 13, it failed before
> it even starts the update!
> 1) I tried 3 times.
> 2) I will have to do it one or 2 more times
> 3) I already had a similar problem when I update this system to fedora 10
> 4) I posted the output of anaconda like it is suggested by the
> installation
> 5) I did expected that somebody would have a look on this file
> and give me some feedback.
> 6) Accordingly, I will see what to do.
> 7) I do not see the point now in trying to make 10 -> 11, 11 -> 12, 12
> -> 13 and face the same problems every times if it can solve more
> efficiently.
> 8) I could help more that one person in maintaining fedora system.
> 9) Does my way of trying to make progress wrong ?

There are inherent incompatibilities between F10 and F13.  The internal
RPM database format changed, the kernel's changed a ton, the GUIs are
all radically different, the X server changed, etc. etc.

Jumping three releases (10 to 13) has never been supported and most
likely never will because of these radical changes.  This is why you
are expected to migrate from 10 to 11, then from 11 to 12, and then
from 12 to 13.  Even that can be fraught with danger.  Your best bet is
to back up all of your user data and install a fresh F13.

Also keep in mind that any Fedora release will go end-of-life roughly
one month after its second successor is released (f13 caused F11 to go
end of life when it was released, F14 will cause F12 to go end-of-life
one month after it's released, etc.) and since Fedora releases happen
roughly every six months, any given Fedora release has about a one-year
life span (I think midges live longer).

If you need more stability, I'd suggest you go the RHEL or CentOS
route.  CentOS tracks RHEL and has a similar lifetime (I think it's
five years).  Granted, CentOS is still back in the kernel 2.6.18 days,
but it's stable and security updates still appear for it.