Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 19:26:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm curious to see how long I can run this system now before it fails again...
>>
> That didn't take so long :(
>
> In Xorg.0.log it says, after all modules have been loaded, "Failed to
> initilalize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:2:0:0"
>
> In /var/log/messages I find: "kernel: nvidia: probe of 000:00:03.5
> failed with error -1"

Searching for the error I came across the nvidia README [1] which,
under chapter 9 "Known Issues", in the section "Kernel virtual address
space exhaustion on the X86 platform" describes the error I'm
experiencing. The solution is to pass vmalloc=192MB (or 256MB) to the
kernel boot options. If i get the time tomorrow I will try it and
report if it works.

[1] http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/chapter-09.html

/h