mail to another machine on the LAN

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Wed Oct 27 10:10:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 08:57 +0400, Hiisi wrote:

> Thank you, guys! I understand now where's the problem. I tried the
> following changes in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.3.30, Name=MTA')dnl
> and
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
> And restarted sendmail after that. Neither of it seems to be working.
> Now there's no Addr in sendmail.mc and I've got from netstat command:
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25                0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      7151/sendmail: acce
> So, how can I force it to listen to something like 192.168.3.30:25?
> By the way, as this machine is sitting behind the router is it possible
> at all to access it by e-mail from the outside world?

That should be the only option you have to change in your sendmail.mc
file, as I do that as well and use the line like you did below...

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

Also, edit your /etc/mail/localhost file and add in the domains/aliases
of that particular machine running sendmail (add them under each other,
not beside each other, as in one line at a time).

Not sure if this matters, but on my machine I use as a server, I run
"network" service on it instead of NetworkManager.  May or may not be
your problem as well.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY