USB support for VirtualBox

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 17:00:45 UTC 2010

2010/10/27 Kevin Martin <kevintm at ameritech.net>

> On 10/27/2010 09:39 AM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> > On 27 October 2010 15:29, Robert Karge <rkargeconsulting at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I have been using Fedora off/on since F3.  I'm a heavy user of
> VirtualBox.
> >> From F3 to F13 USB is not evident.  All suggestions from Fedora sources
> >> don't work.  All other Linux Distros I have tried have automated access
> >> USB in VirtualBox.
> >>
> >> Please help me with an absolute method.
> > VirtualBox OSE is what is packaged by RPMFusion for Fedora. That
> > version DOES NOT have USB Support. The reason for this is nothing to
> > do with Fedora and everything to do with the fact that the USB support
> > was not open-source licensed.
> >
> > You can read more about the two different versions of VirtualBox on
> > their website:
> >
> >    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions
> >
> > If you need USB Support, then you need to get VirtualBox direct from
> them:
> >
> >    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
> >
> > And you must accept their licensing terms:
> >
> >    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL
> >
> > I would assume that the other versions of Linux you have tried are
> > distributing the non-free version of VirtualBox.
> >

> FWIW, you can get the version packaged by Oracle via the repo below
> directly thru yum (save those lines in a /etc/yum.repos.d file):
>
> [virtualbox]
> name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - VirtualBox
> baseurl=
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/$releasever/$basearch
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
>
> This should give you USB support.
>
> Kevin
>
> --

Absolute Method:

1) Download and install Oracle's Virtualbox and all the needed software

2) Add yourself to the vboxusers group

( A quick tutorial for doing this is in:
http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2010/05/how-to-install-virtualbox-3-2-on-fedora-13/
 )

3) In the Configuration tab of your machines, go to "USB" and add three
empty filters at least

4) Plug in your desired USB devices to the machine (You can Plug all at once
or one by one) and in the "USB"
part of the Configuration tab of your machines go to "add filter by device"
and start adding and checking all the
devices you have plugged to the PC.

5) Repeat this same process with all your VM's

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6