While waiting for Fedora 14, a question for the engineering types re: searching and finding

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 23:30:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 21:36 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> But I've never heard of a processor that has a "search" instruction
> implemented in hardware. :-)

Depends what you mean by hardware. I'm pretty sure some special-purpose
machines (Lisp and Prolog machines come to mind) had string searching in
microcode. Some VLSI designs for string-searching hardware come up if
you do a Google search (!) but I doubt if any have actually been
exploited commercially.

poc