Mplayer equalizer doesn't work

D Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Fri Oct 29 02:06:00 UTC 2010

On 10/28/2010 8:39 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 14:09 -0500, D Wyatt wrote:
>> The majority of videos play a little too dark, so I usually bump up
>> the brightness about 10 points.
>
> If the majority are bad, perhaps the real issue's outside of mplayer
> (monitor set up, or all video output).
>
> Usually, video's look too bright (or at least the darker portions of the
> video signal), as they're prepared for television sets, which have a
> different gamma than computer monitors.

If I wanted everything brighter, then the monitor level would
obviously be the place to change settings.  If anything, I would
be more likely to *lower* the monitor's brightness.  Generally,
the whole video is acceptable but when there are, for example,
nighttime scenes that just look black, increasing the brightness
reveals details so you have some clue as to what is going on.

I tend to be a multi-tasker - I never do anything full-screen.
I have been noticing a slight growth in the tendency on linux to
configure tools with the expectation that they will be the only
thing in use until their use is completed.  For example, another
minor complaint w/resp to gmplayer is that between F12 and F13 the
ability to minimize the control console of the gui has been
eliminated.  The video window can be minimized, but not the control
console.  In F12, both could be individually minimized.

Oh, and btw, I have not noticed any tendency for videos to be too
bright.  I have never lowered the brightness on any video, be it
Anime, TV show or movie.  Even youtube clips are sometimes so dark
that i have to download the .flv or .mp4 and view it in gmplayer
with increased brightness.

Regards,
D Wyatt