Metamail

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 29 04:55:04 UTC 2010

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>>> Certainly, mailcap is used by programs other than metamail. But the
>>> description seems to imply that metamail is the primary user. So, where=
>>> is metamail?
>> metamail hasn't been packaged in a long time....at least before F11.  It
>> is *old* and no longer maintained by anyone.
> Well, then, "anyone" ought to update the info for mailcap -- at least.
> But metamail doesn't need maintenance so long as it still works, and
> I have no reason to think it doesn't work.
Actually, it would need maintaining.  If you were to download the last
available tar file for metamail and try to compile you will find it
won't.  I seem to recall doing this over a year ago (it had some neat
utils to convert between Base64 and quoted-printable) and it required
some header files and/or libraries that had moved on to the point where
you'd have to modify metamail to bring it "into the future".

Oh, and FWIW, don't use fedora-list at redhat.com.  That list has been
depreciated and messages sent to that list will be auto-forwarded to the
fedoraproject list and end up in double messages.

--
"Go ahead, bake my quiche" -- Magrat instructs the castle cook (Terry
Pratchett, Lords and Ladies) 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段