How to check the number of terminals open from inside a shell script

Mark Liggett mliggett at btisystems.com
Fri Oct 29 13:39:38 UTC 2010

Hi Sumatheja,

I'm guessing you want a script to run only once (did say whether it was per user).  You could add your script to the .bashrc file - this way the script would run once when the user logs on.  Alternatively run the script and export an environment variable - then check it using an if statement before you run the script again, eg;

if [ -n "$script-has-run-envar" ]; then
    <source_script>
    script-has-run-envar="Yes"
    export $script-has-run-envar
fi

Check the lifecycle of the environment variable is what you need though.

Mark