Intermittent freezing

D Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Fri Oct 29 21:48:17 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 7:10 AM, Rick Sewill wrote:

> On 10/29/2010 04:05 AM, Nigel Bishop wrote:
>> I am running Fedora 13 with Linux Kernel 2.6.33-3.85.fc13.x86_64 with Gnome
>> 2.30.0 on HP laptop ProBook 4510S
>>
>> At times, it almost freezes, with very slow response to the keyboard. System
>> monitor shows that something is hogging the CPU. Sometimes, after a few
>> minutes, it recovers, other times I have to re-boot.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> Which system monitor program are you using?
>
> To my surprise, gnome-system-monitor shows me, under Processes, only my
> processes, not all the processes in the system.
>
> Question to everyone, is there a way to have gnome-system-monitor show
> all processes, in the system, not just my processes?
>
> The KDE system monitor, ksysguard, on the other hand, can show me all
> processes in the system.
>
> One can also run "top" in a shell.
> If "top -i" is done, idled or zombied processes will not be displayed.

Firefox's npviewer.bin is a common culprit, here.  I've seen it grab
and hang onto more than 90% of CPU in both linux and WinXP, even when
no Flash is being played at the time. This only happens after playing
a series of youtube vids, though.

The top cmd run in a root shell, or KDE system monitor will show all
processes.